Monday, 21 April 2014

How To: Easter Egg Baskets

I felt like doing something crafty for Easter this year, so I decided to make these little "baskets" and fill them with small chocolate eggs to make my nephews' egg hunt a little more interesting, as well as giving a couple away as small presents to my family. I thought I'd do a quick how-to of how to make them. Enjoy!


You will need:
- Yarn of your choosing
- Several bags of small chocolate eggs
- Aquadhere/PVC/craft glue
- Scissors
- Water balloons


Firstly, you'll need to blow up your water balloons, ideally with air, but they can be done with water too if you cant blow them up (like I couldn't). You can make as many as you want, but make sure you make a few extra so you can pick the best ones to give away. Once they are all blown up to the size you desire, take your yarn and cut it to length, depending on how you want your baskets to look. My lengths were about 3.5-4m long, and I chose yarn that changed colour through-out to give a multi-colours effect to the baskets. Part fill a bowl with your glue and submerge one length on yarn into it, then grab your balloon and start wrapping it around, making sure to not leave big gaps.



Once you've wrapped your balloon, lay them on a plate or hang them up using some pegs, and leave them to dry for a few hours. When they are dry, I did another layer on top to give them extra strength and a better looking effect. Again, leave for a few hours to dry and harden.



 After checking they are all dry, it is time to pop the balloons. If you were able to air blow them (how weird does that sound), just use a pin to pop and the basket will be left, but if you filled them with water, it is a little trickier. You could still prick them with a pin, but it is quite difficult to not get any of the water on the basket, so what I did was I pulled the end with the knot tight, hold the water back and cut it off.  I then drained the water slowly, making sure to not get any on the baskets. Once all the balloons are popped, it is time to fill them with chocolate!! You will need to find a space big enough to just fit the eggs through, but not big enough for the to come out again, and you might have to bend or cut a hole if no spaces are big enough. Depending on how full you want your baskets to be obviously determines how many eggs you put in each. For most of them, I put 5, with some special ones filled with 7. Once filled, place around the house for your loved ones to find!



 I hoped you liked my how to make Easter egg baskets, and hopefully it inspired you to make some of your own for next year, or even this year if you're quick enough! I will be doing more of this type of blog in the future, so I should get better at explaining myself haha Thanks for reading and visiting, comment below if you have any questions or comments, and see you next time!
xxx
Disclaimer: I found this on Pintrest, I didn't invent this.

No comments:

Post a Comment